Designation: Professor & Director Research Projects
Area of Specialization: Solar Photovoltaics
Teaching Experience: 15
Bachelor’s degree in Engineering (Electronics) MCEME,Secunderabad (1973 - First Class with Distinction. Received Director’s Gold medal for standing first in the Degree course). Master of Technology (Power apparatus and systems), IIT Delhi(1977, First Class with Distinction, CGPA 9.71). Officers Radar Equipment Course (1980) at MCEME Secunderabad(Distinction, Stood first and was the recipient of the Commandant’s Silver medal).
Ph.D in Energy Systems :Study and evaluation of different Photovoltaic (PV) technologies leading to cost reduction and increased life of PV modules(Awarded degree in Nov 2009).
Nominated as a World Bank resource person for SPV (Solar Photovoltaics) training in 1996 on successful completion of a World Bank/IREDA sponsored program on SPV System Design at IIT Madras,Chennai , Solar Energy Centre, Gurgaon and former Siemen’s Training School, Camarillo, CA, USA.
14 years (1989 – 2003) in the Photovoltaics Industry (12 years with M/s Suryovonics Ltd, Hyderabad as Vice President and Director) looking after Production, system integration and quality control and 2 years with the erstwhile ARM Ltd (Vice President, Solar PV Division).
Trained in the manufacture of amorphous silicon cells, modules and systems at ECD, Troy, MI, USA, UNISOLAR, Auburn Hills, MI, USA and former INTERSOLAR, Wales, UK. Have visited PV manufacturing facilities in USA (Frederick, Toana, Newark, Toledo, Troy, Camarillo, Bedford, Masachussets etc), Germany, Japan (Toyooka, Osaka), UK (Bridgend, Wales). Was associated with the setting up of a 3 MWp moduling facility (a-Si on stainless steel substrate) near Hyderabad, India.
Widely travelled to and in USA, Europe (Germany, UK), Japan, South Korea, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia (BALI) and Sri Lanka.
Have interacted with the World Bank,Washington D.C., US EXIM Bank, Washington DC, Winrock International, USA, USAID and Ontario Power Generation Group, Toronto.
Served in the Indian Army (Corps of Electronics and Mechanical Engineers) from June 1966 – June 1989 in the rank of Lieutenant to Lt Colonel. Served in J & K, the Eastern Sector, Delhi (Army HQ), Agra (Army Base Workshop) and at the Mil. College of Electronics and Mechanical engineering ( Instructor in the Computer Dept, Electronics Wing and Electrical Departments).
More than 12 years at the Military College of Electronics and Mechanical Engineering, Secunderabad; CSI College of Engineering, Ketti, Nilgiris and at Padmasri Dr. B. V. Raju Institute of Technology, Vishnupur, Narsapur, Medak District.
Papers (presented/accepted/published) at the International/National level :
IEEE PVSC, Anchorage Alska (2000), New Orleans (2002), Florida (2005), Philadelphia (2009), WCPEC-3 (World Conference on Photovoltaic Energy Conversion – 2006), Ontario Power Generation Group, Canada (2000), Solarex Conference –Bali Indonesia (1998), iCORE ,India (2004, 2005, 2006), IEEE TENCON 2008, Solar India 2007, SESI Journal, Dec 2007.
Article on “Solar photovoltaic power for irrigation and water management” under publication as chapter 12 in a book titled “A solar future for India” to be brought out by WISE (World Institute for sustainable energy), PUNE
Other Initiatives :
- Implemented a World Bank sponsored solar pumping program in the southern states of TN, A.P. and Karnataka, 1998-2000.
- Guided a pilot market seeding program of solar lanterns sponsored by the Rockefeller Foundation and co-sponsored by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID), 1991-92.
- Setting up of a District level (Renewable) Energy Park in the Institute (BVRIT, Narsapur) campus with MNES (now MNRE) assistance, 2004.
- Invited speaker at seminars/training sessions organised by ASCI (Administrative Staff College of India), CIRE (Central Institute of Rural Electrification), Anna University, IIT, Madras, Bharathidasan University, Tiruchirapally (TN), IIIT, Hyderabad, Solar Energy Society of India, A.P. Chapter, Energy Conservation Mission, Hyderabad, Institute of Plant Engineers, EPTRI, IEEE Students Chapter, Hyderabad, Vijayawada & Guntur etc.
- Conducted a National Conference on ‘Emerging Technologies’ in March 2008 at CSI College of Engineering. (Chief Guest- Sri Vishnu Raju, Chairman SVES and Guest of Honour-Sri Krishna Ganga Raju, Secretary, SVES)).
- Conducted a National Conference on Relevant Renewable Energy Technologies for rural India – “Villpower2009” (Chief Guest Dr M. Annadorai, ISRO.
- Design of PV standalone and PV-Diesel hybrid systems in Kuala Lumpur and Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia, for a Telecom Company based in Kuala Lumpur , 1996.
- Capacity assessment of Moser Boer, Greater Noida, for a Photovoltaic firm in the USA, 2005
- Technical report on Insurance claim by a leading Solar PV company in Hyderabad, 2008
- Co-ordinated the setting up of the Assistive Technology Laboratory in the College (BVRIT) where the students undertake projects leading to the building of devices/prototypes for the physically and mentally challenged.